Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, July 18, 2008

Rock Climbing

I lost the race...but I still did it. So I considered and rethought for weeks whether it would be a good idea for me to do a hike at camp with the girls. I admit to being totally out of shape, but my main concern was being pregnant, away from camp and having trouble. I had at least selected the shortest hike of the four. Just a one mile then the girls would rock climb for an hour or so with two great guys helping teach them what to do, and a quick one mile home. It wasn't until I got to camp Monday that I found out it wasn't a stroll in the park sort of mile. The trail map showed "Steep Incline" for about 1/2 mile and the rest, in my opinion was also a "Steep Incline". I figured if the weather was good on that day, I could do it. The morning of the hike was beautiful. I decided not to wimp out and give it a try. I was totally winded most of the hike up the mountain, but it wasn't that bad. I didn't ever think I needed to quit and go back, so no problem. At the top, the girls had been rock climbing on the four climbs set up for them about an hour while the other leaders and I watched. Then one of the fun 4th year girls, Kim, challenged me to a race. I totally wanted to do it. I've climbed enough to know it wasn't a real risky thing to do (if done right) and feel comfortable on the rock. Our belayers had us totally safe so no one was going to fall more than 3 inches. I did, however, know how hard the leaders had to work to make rock climbing happen this year though, and didn't want to put that in jeopardy at all. I looked at our camp director, Kathy, so see what she would say. She told me I was an adult and if my doctor wouldn't have a problem with me rock climbing, it was my choice. I jumped into the harness and we were off! I figured there was no way I'd actually win, but why not try? I actually turned out a pretty good lead at the beginning and got too comfortable. I stopped for a second to catch my breath and rest because Kim was far enough behind me. Then I started climbing again. She not only caught up, but won the race. Turns out my climb was super easy to start and hers was hard, then switched at the top. I just couldn't recover when my climb got hard and she won fair and square. In fact, we stayed almost together right up to the top. In the last 3 inches, I just couldn't find anything to hold onto anymore. I swear it took me 10 minutes to go those last 3 inches. Anyway, she won while I was still searching for a foothold. How frustrating to be inches away and have her totally kill me. Oh well. Next time I won't take a break. Better watch out Kim I'll get you next time!!

No comments: