Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Not Now

About two weeks ago I decided I'd had enough of the stinky diapers from Maddie. She knew what she was doing and was deciding not to use the toilet. We started some tough love potty training with the natural consequence of a cold bath (rinsing her bum) when she pooped in her diaper. After six days we hadn't had a single success. Saturday night I was thinking as I lay in bed after Brian had drifted off to sleep about the situation. The impression came with power then that I needed to stop my plan. Now was not the right time and cold baths were not the right approach for this child in this moment. I was struck with the urgency of the feelings. I couldn't shake the feeling and after a while I pulled myself out of bed and began to pray about what to do. While I think my method is an acceptable way to handle the problem, I know that it is not right for this child at this time. I will always wonder what the reason was. Is it because she physically isn't ready (her muscles can't do it yet), is it the wrong time for me to handle it as an adult (let's face it, potty training is rough on parents and their patience level), was she feeling demeaned and humiliated because of the way I was handling the situation (that could have significant consequences beyond potty training) or something else? So I quit. No more cold baths. Not now. No more words about it. Ever. She has regressed back to peeing in her diaper too and almost never using the potty. I've let it go for now. I know it is the right thing for Maddie. Today though, I'm thinking about my experience. God knows my children better than I ever will. He can see their tender, sweet hearts and can guide me to teach and nurture them in the best way for each child as an individual. I think what I learned two things: 1. Listen to the promptings I am given, God will show me the best things in the right moments. Then obey his direction even when you don't know why. 2. If I fail to pray and study the scriptures every day, it extends beyond myself. I am doing a huge disservice to my children. They need me to be in tune with the direction God is sending to me for them. It is so much bigger than me. My kids need me to be connected to God.

No comments: