Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, July 22, 2011

9-1-1 Calls and Random Memories

Ben did it once.  When we moved from Texas to Virginia we needed our phone until after the pack out so we brought it in our luggage.  When we got into our apartment which would remain empty for a week until our things arrived we plugged it in and were ready to leave when the phone rang. It was 911 stating they had just got a call from our phone.  Totally baffled we realized 12 month old Ben had somehow got the phone in his hands and managed to dial, what else, but 9-1-1.  They were not amused and I apologized a bunch of times as he lectured me about keeping the phone away from my kids.  Heck, he must have grabbed it behind my back while I was plugging it in on the bar height countertop.

 

This week Jake called 9-1-1.  Maybe it’s a boy thing. We have a two line phone and I was on the Singapore line with a neighbor working out a play date for Maddie.  I switched to the cell phone because something weird was happening to the regular phone.  I went upstairs to the TV room because Maddie and Jake were fighting over something and as I walked in I saw Jake tapping buttons on the phone again.  I hung it up and continued my call.  Soon I realized I had FIVE missed calls on the US line.  And it was ringing again with a Virginia number – mind you it was 3:00 in the morning.  I told my I better pick up.  Something wasn’t right for me to get five calls from Virginia in the middle of the night.  I answered and lucky for me this time it was a friendly 911 guy.  Of course once he explained who he was I told him that we were in Singapore.  He snickered and said, “Yeah.  I heard your message explaining that every time I called you back at this number.”  I could feel my body shrinking, wishing there was somewhere to run and hide.  How embarrassing. 

 

I doubt if Jacob actually got as lucky as Ben though in his random selection of numbers.  See, our local hand phone numbers (that’s cell numbers to you Americans) begin with 911.  From the second we got those phones I wondered if our kids were gonna screw that up someday.  We’d be in the states on vacation and Ben would try to call mom or dad on the hand phone and get 911 on accident.  Never did I dream that it would happen right here in Singapore, or that it would be Jacob. I figure he pushed the address book and since we are last because of our sweet last name starting with “Z” he just dialed the last number in the address book.  We get butt dialed all the time actually.  My family butt dials us all the time.  Since Kristie’s kids have been at my mom’s house we’ve gotten at least five messages where I can hear mom and the kids in the background talking about this or that for three to five minutes before the message system times out. 

 

Zufelt.  It’s a bit of a curse.  In fact, the guy I thought I might wait for when he went on his mission didn’t like the name either.  When I “Dear John-ed” him to tell him I was engaged to Brian while he was still on his mission his only response was classy.  He didn’t say I should wait for him because we were a great pair or that he loved or even liked me.  He said I shouldn’t marry Brian because my kids would always be at the end of the lunch line in school.  Way to fight for your girl.  I think I made the right choice.  Brian rocks!  Haven’t regretted that choice once in twelve years. Ooh. That reminds me. Our anniversary is in a few days.  Didn’t even realize it but we’ll be in Thailand at the beach for our anniversary.  Now that’s good accidental planning!

No comments: