Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ring, Ring...Hi Catherine, Can You Go To The Park in Twenty Minutes?

I'm missing Catherine today. She was my playground buddy. On a day like today, when the weather is warm and the sun is strong with a smothering warmth, we call each other. Usually during nap time, we have both found enough time to muster up the energy to drag ourselves outside. No one else around is as free as us. All our other friends have to deal with homework and buses or school pick up. Catherine and I, we have no strings. At a moments notice we can call, plan and go. And we do. Let's meet at the playground at the Community Center between our houses. It is all of a 2 minute drive for me, 3 for her. The kids can laugh and play. They run and breath the clean fresh air. They climb and slide. We always meet at about 4:00 after the little people awake, happy after much needed rest time. We play for 20 minutes or an hour and a half. We dine on gold fish crackers and granola bars that are bound to spoil dinner for the kids. It buys us more time to talk together and bask in the perfect friendship we both enjoy immensely. Life is perfect in our little mommy world at the park on Zion Drive. Then pull ourselves back to reality when someone scrapes their knee or bumps their head. We head home in time to make dinner. We've enjoyed our break. Out of the house that holds me hostage every day. Out to talk with another grown-up. Free to talk. Solving the world's problems, dream of upcoming fun or cry over heart aches and tough times. We did it together, smiling as our children explored the wonderland outside, searching for acorns, leaves and rocks. I missed you today, Catherine. There was no one to call that was free as a bird like we were. I hope you enjoy watching Conference at home, in your pjs.

1 comment:

Cath said...

OK - can I just sob!!?? That made me miss you, our little house on Latney, the parks, our closeness SO MUCH! Made me want to run home to Virginia! I've had similar lament wondering who I could call last minute to venture out with me. Mostly we stay put (it snowed this entire week). You got me out when I wouldn't have dared with the twins Ang. You made the day to day life there not just bearable, but likable! You helped me in so many ways. I Miss YOU! We miss Ben and Maddie. And I miss those chats at the park, watching the kids eat crumbled granola bars or fishies. Remember Ben and Eliza running through the water tunnel (can't recall the name of the park)??? What fun we had! We had great conversations and good laughs. You are so dear to me Ang. Thanks for your sweet post. Come play with us!! Sigh....