Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, December 19, 2011

Slave Labor for Holiday Cards

This overseas stuff throws a wrench into everything “normal” I try to do. I thought I was doing great. Got our family pictures in October. My friend who took the picture designed a custom card in November. Check out her website – she’ll be here for another year, then back in Utah. Then I had to write the letter with updates on everyone in the family.

 

Finally I tried to print our holiday cards here in Singapore first of December, but that cost plus international stamps gave me heartburn. I considered. I waited. I found a cheaper option (stamps go on sale here). I patiently waited for the stamp sale to start. Then I find out people who used sale stamps the last few years have the cards arrive in the US in February. Plus delivering the cards to me IN Singapore FROM Singapore cost nearly $50 and took 3 weeks! Seriously? How big is this island? Or a “rush” delivery still takes 5 days but costs $100.

 

So I shopped online in the USA to have things automatically stamped and mailed. Headache. I have a custom card ready to upload and no one will take it without adding their own border/holly berry/snowman/ribbon/text on top of my already designed card. Eventually I went into denial mode. If I wait a day or two things will get simpler/cheaper/easier/better, right? And here we are…Christmas in a week. Nothing ordered.  Leaving tomorrow on a short trip tomorrow while our kids are out of school for holiday break.

 

I finally ordered the cards this morning for bulk delivery on Saturday. Then I sent off an email seeking slave labor from my nephew and maybe his siblings to stuff the envelopes. Not really slave labor I guess, since I’ll pay them. He’s trying to earn money to go to Washington DC on a school trip. Of course we lived there six years and he goes after we leave…but still, he’s going to go see a pretty cool place and I’m all about helping that happen! Don’t worry, Brian’s mom will do it if the kids won’t. She’s great like that. So they may be late (my fault), but they will arrive, hopefully by New Years. For now, here’s the preview of the card.

 

Merry Christmas!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's crazy talk. But on the other hand at least you're helping your nephew. :)) btw, thanks for the live nativity info. I have it on my calendar for next year. :)

Merry Christmas!!!!

Erin said...

I love the picture of your belly and I love that you didn't put an apostrophe before the S in Zufelts. UGH. Of course you wouldn't; you're too smart! :-)

We need to someday set up a Skype date so Ella can hear the Singapo' accent. She always wants to know how people "where Maddie lives" say something or other.

Laura said...

Great card! Y'all look great!
Shutterfly and Winkflash both support custom cards- you just find the no border, 1 picture option.