Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Return to the South

This week I returned to Texas for a week after living three years living outside of the USA and nearly nine years since I was last in Texas.  Monday morning I was reminded that I had returned to the "South" by how friendly the hotel staff was and by their accents.

As I approached the breakfast area in the hotel Monday morning I was very quickly greeted by one of the hotel employees with a very cheerful good morning greeting from across the room with some sort of question about how I was doing that day.  The "strength" of the greeting sort of took me by surprise because it has been a while since I have received that sort of greeting.  I responded in kind and then proceeded to select my breakfast.  I saw her give similar greetings as other people entered the lobby.  Shortly after I sat down and started eating the same lady came to me and asked me how my breakfast was.  Most other places the people may greet you, but there is just something about the way the Texans greet each other--she was very friendly and made sure I knew she was there to help me out.

The best part was when I attempted to get some orange juice from the juice machine.  Only water came out.  I asked the lady if the juice machine was working.  She immediately came over and tested the machine.  When she saw the water come out she declared as only a Texan can, "It didn' get done yet!"  It was at that point I realized I had returned to the South.

No comments: