Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Strollers

May 13, 2014
I used to think moms that pushed four year olds in strollers were stupid. I came from America. My kids have to walk at three years old. So those moms ought to get those kids up and make them walk. It's good for them I think. 

Now I see differently - a walking world of concrete and buses and taxis and trains and waiting in ques for all the aforementioned things. Then there are the rain storms and carrying all your groceries to feed your family home in heavy plastic bags every day. It makes a lot more sense. You can't physically carry a 30 lb chubby, angry, exhausted preschooler along with everything else you have in hand. You don't have time to negotiate with an illogical, cranky, hungry four year old. You don't have the emotional energy to pick up a tantruming child or drag them behind you every day of the week. This Singapore life is exhausting. I thank The Lord for our car. It makes my life so much better than it could be. 

Gaining perspective here has been a gorgeous thing. My standards don't fit in another world and culture. It's only my place to be open and adapt and learn that there are probably good, solid reasons for some of the weirdness I see at first glance. Their lives are very, very different than mine. I've had to do what they do a time or two with kids and buses and now I get it. Hats off to the diligent moms of Singapore who are still pushing their four and five year olds in strollers. You are awesome.

No comments: