Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, August 30, 2010

No More Limping!!!

Big things are happening around here. Today I woke up and am no longer limping!!! Okay, after I put on a good solid athletic shoe to support my left foot I wasn't limping anyway. Last Tuesday I woke up and could barely walk. My left foot was in really bad shape for no apparent reason at all (nothing other than post-camp body shut down that is). Seemed to me that that same foot thing had happened before over the last seven or eight years, maybe it had happened twice before like that. Really painful and really random. Both the other two times I thought it was gone by dinner. At least as far as I could recall so I decided to wait it out. I will do almost anything to avoid the doctor. Not that I fear him. I just think most the time the diagnosis is something like, "Yep. You look sick. Don't know what's wrong. You should sleep and drink fluids and take it easy. Pay your $20 co-pay at the front desk and good luck with that weird, unidentifiable medical problem you have." And on top of the amazingly great diagnosis I get on all my visits, I have to arrange a babysitter and go wait in the office while I'd rather be at home. So I don't go unless something BIG is wrong with me. Wednesday morning came and the pain was so bad I would almost cry with every step and the ball of my foot was swollen so the skin was tight on the bottom. It was beyond belief the pain I was in. I watched Anthony and Becca early in the morning and ended up taking a lawn chair to the parking lot and watching all five kids ride bikes and play outside just so I didn't have to move anywhere. By 9:30 am I caved and called the doctor for an appointment. I made mac 'n' cheese for the kids to scarf down as Lucinda arrived and we swapped kid duty. She took all five to her place so I could go get it checked out. Could be two things causing the pain. One - a fractured foot from jumping off the tail gate of the truck Monday night, except that it never hurt when I jumped. Two - Mortons Neuroma, a severely inflamed nerve between the third and fourth metatarsel. Based on my vague memories of similar things in the past, I guess the neuroma. I almost didn't go get the xray because it seemed to make sense to me the neuroma option. I did decide not to be stupid though and I did end up getting my foot xrayed at the clinic down the road and going home to wait for the radiologist report. Jake had just fallen asleep at Lucinda's house when I got back, so she made me camp out on the couch with my foot up on pillows for about two hours while he slept. Even just sitting the pain got worse and worse every second. I called the doctor office right before they closed at 4pm to see if they got the report from the radiologist, only to be told, "We're closing in three minutes." "Yes. I know that. This is why I called at 3:57 instead of 4:03. Can you please check if they called it in?" "Well, they don't call those in. They fax it." "Fine. Can you check your fax machine please?" "Well, that's in the back of the office and the office manager is shutting down her computer to leave." Etc. She totally refused to go look for me so I could get an answer. What a bunch of total idiots at the office. No problem. I may have a fractured foot. No biggie. We'll just chill on it until you toddle into the office in the morning. IDIOT!! Just because you're too lazy to get out of your stupid chair. I never called back in the morning and will not go back to that office. In fact, I should write a complaint letter and ask for my records to be transfered somewhere else. Thursday morning I woke up and the pain was substantially reduced, meaning I could limp and wince and hop on one foot through the pain with only small tears, not big ones. Still pissed off, I didn't call the doctor. It's probably a Morton's Neuroma anyway, right? I'm sticking to that theory anyway. So I've been limping and hobbling for 6 days now. Saturday night at the park I had a few times when I had a regular gait back for a few minutes and was really encouraged. Sunday was no good because running shoes just don't look good with a dress, so I had no support and it showed. Here were are on day 7 of the foot trouble and with a good shoe, I'm walking what I would call normally. Still a little bit of pain like it's got a really, really bad bruise inside but so much better than the last 6 days. I'll take it!!

1 comment:

Juli said...

I bet you have a bruised foot. I played soccer in my steel toe boots when I was coaching Bryce. My foot hurt so badly that I went to the doctor too. It was a bruise under that bone in the ball of the foot. It took a week + maybe almost two before it was okay but it healed on its own. Best of luck. I bet it was the jump from the truck. I played the whole soccer match with the boys and it didn't hurt until a day or so later and then it got progressively worse until I went to the DR.

Hope it gets better soon.

Shon