Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, August 30, 2010

Oh Come On!!

Just one of the many tasks on for today: Scout Uniform for Ben
Estimated time to completion: 20 minutes
Actual time: probably an hour and a half
 
Check list of what to buy for Virginia.
Add those items to "shopping cart" on Boy Scout of America website.
Google scouting in Singapore.
Found troop for cub scouts and boy scouts.
Several notes like this, "Buy all this stuff while you are in the United States. Shipping is expensive."
Boy Scout website confirms.  $25 to ship anything, even a little number patch.
Compile list of things the Singapore troops require (Virginia seems a lot more relaxed than Singapore as far as uniform requirements for socks and hats and stuff).
Use my sleuthing skills to determine what troop and council they are in Singapore.
Troop - easy.
Council - hard.  "District Services Council - Dallas, TX" - Say what?
Search BSA website for ANY clues on what patch to buy for the "Direct Services Council"
Nothing.
Click links for a while. Read all the info on the cub website AND boy scout website about how to sign up and what you will need for any little clues.
Nothing.
Nada.
Zip.
Wait. GREAT IDEA!!  Check the troop pictures and cross my fingers I can see the patches on their shoulders.
Find the photo album of the troop activities.
Click a picture that looks good in the thumbnail view.
Good. Good.  This one could work!
Zoom in.
WHAT THE HECK??  What is the first kid I see wearing?  National Capitol Area Council - DC MD VA.
That's where I live now!
 
I did ultimately get to see the patch and it looks kinda cool in bright red.  It does actually say, "Direct Services Council - Singapore" and has what I think is a super cool asian looking dragon on it.
 
Bad news is, after all that work I can't seem to be able to order it online. I suppose they don't get enough orders for it to sell online.  Guess we will go with what I have and wear the wrong patch until the group order the following August.  In the end, I totally realize, he won't care anyway.  It's just the anal parental unit that will make herself nuts over details like this.

1 comment:

Juli said...

We found out that international scouts are in the Direct Services Council. We will be in the same council as you!! B is a lone scout and I am his leader. I think it will be good for he and I to do stuff together. We are thinking about the scuba diving merit badge. How cool would that be......

Suggestion. Don't do Cubs while you are over there. The intnl schools typically have tons of activities that keep them busy. Outside of the US the church doesn't do scouting. It would be something you could not do and not worry about. The other US families here don't do it.