Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

He's Two and I'm Moving. It Is What It Is.

I'm already two days late. Of course I'm full of excuses. Saturday our plans quickly turned from what was expected to be a day of errand running into a delightful day of fun when we happened by the Stoddard home around lunch. Jeff was cleaning up the yard and burning the autumn leaves. We ended up having a fire and roasting marshmallows, hot dogs, apples and potatoes outside while the kids ziplined landing on the trampoline. It was a totally delightful day we all agree. Of course, that did mean that we changed our plans and I didn't do the grocery shopping.
Sunday I went to make a birthday cake for Mr. Jacob. No eggs. No cake.
Monday just didn't come together for me and I'm not doing well with the stress of moving. I did make it to the store, but couldn't force myself to bake a cake. Then Mindy called and after the kids were ready for bed we went out to Five Below and at least bought the poor kid a birthday present. They don't have the best selection for toddlers, so he's getting some amazing stuff - a blow up chair and a battery operated hampster that runs around in a ball. Yipee!
Now it is Tuesday morning and I got myself together. I got the cake batter ready. Trying a new 3D cake pan loaned to me by a friend. It was missing the clasps to keep it together, but she said, "You're an engineer, you'll figure it out." I decided I would give it a shot by wiring tying it together, using pliers to get it as tight as possible and using a cake batter that is relatively thick in the first place. You can see the amazing results right here.
Here I am. Disaster cake. Two days late. No energy or willingness to try again. I think I'll honestly frost the lump on the pan, stick a candle in it. We'll sing and open his presents and call it good for the year. Poor guy. At least he's only two so he won't even care. Hopefully he knows I love him just as much as anyone else that may have received a great cake.
UPDATE: I took that fantastic cake over to Heather's house Tuesday night. We took it apart, frosted the part that looks like Pooh's brains splattered all over the pan, took his head out of the mold, smothered it in frosting and stuck his decapitated head right smack dab in the middle. We lit two candles and sang Happy Birthday over and over while Jacob and Hazel blew out the candles over and over. I think it was a successful celebration for a couple of two year old birthday kids. We totally let them stick their fingers in it, lick, restick and lick again. Honestly, could it get much worse? And everyone was happy.
Referring back to the title of this post: He's two. I'm moving. It is what it is.

4 comments:

KathiNiels said...

This post made me laugh. I can't wait for you to get here. When do you arrive?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Juli said...

Can you submit that one to cake wrecks? Hilarious. Focus on the move. As long as there is a picture with Jacob and the cake all is well. No one will care what it looked like. We are excited for you to be in the Eastern Hemisphere with us......Shon

Juli said...

Shon needs to get his own login. I think your cake is awesome. You should be totally stressed out about right now. I was. Don't forget to breathe deeply, and say yes any time someone asks if they can help. And call your visiting teachers. Don't try to do everything by yourself. You can do it. Awesome cake story. He'll love that one when he's older.

Cath said...

Love this. Why sweat the small stuff, right? I'm so glad you lit the candles and sang anyway! Love you Ang!