Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, January 13, 2012

Angie's Purse Problem and the Doctor Report

A purse is where a woman is supposed to keep her arsenal of gear to handle any and every emergency of life.

 

It should hold things like:

·         mobile phone

·         keys

·         wallet

·         makeup

·         umbrella

·         gum (or if you live in Singapore where gum is illegal – mints)

·         cash

·         extra emergency cash

·         change

·         credit cards

·         sunglasses

·         hair brush

·         compact mirror

·         tampon

·         lotion

·         lip gloss

·         tissues

·         hand wipes

·         pencil

·         a few pens

·         notepad

·         lots of old receipts and trash

 

If you have kids, add to that:

·         goldfish

·         diapers

·         more handwipes

·         antibiotic cream/spray

·         Nintendo DS or comparable item for entertainment value at the doctor office

·         goldfish

·         Bandaids

·         Hard candy

·         Hand sanitizer

·         Hair ties

·         goldfish

·         Tide to go

·         Little toys

 

If I were properly stocked, I bet I could do about as well as MacGyver in most situations. Alas, I’ve never been able to force myself to carry a purse longer than a week. It’s just a nuisance to me. I have been carrying a camera case for about a year now. It fits (barely) my drivers license, cash and cards plus my phone. That’s about it. Anytime I try to put my keys in it I can’t zip it shut.

 

Today I had my regular doctor appointment to check on the baby. Report is basically the same as last the last one two weeks ago. Back in two more weeks for another baby scan. Anyway, when I was checking out they prepared a packet for me in addition to all the regular check out stuff they do. As I left she handed it to me and said, “Just keep this envelope in your bag all the time.”

 

“Huh?” I queried.

 

“Just keep it in your handbag.”

 

Fairly sure I was still displaying a totally blank stare.

 

“In case something goes wrong and you have medical problems you will have all our emergency contact numbers to call, the direct line to the ambulance* to Mount Elizabeth Hospital and if emergency responders need it then your entire medical history for the pregnancy is all included here.” (*You have to call a specific number for an ambulance to the hospital you want to go to, you don’t just call the 911 equivalent to take you to the closest hospital where you are at the time because they may not take your insurance or you may have to have cash on hand to pay.)

 

“Oh. You mean like a purse. Oh. Okay. But seriously? I’m supposed to keep this with me all the time, everywhere I got until I deliver?”

 

The answer came back in the affirmative and I just had to laugh inside. A purse. I guess I can shove it in the make shift diaper bag I’ve been using lately. Maybe I’ll relent and get a purse. Then again, in eight weeks I’ll have a diaper bag super glued to my body for another two years. What’s the point in converting now? I’ll enjoy these last eight weeks of my purse-free life.

No comments: