Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Happy Momma Engineer

Ben brought home his first homework sheet with division on it this afternoon. He was reading it aloud to himself while he worked, “Twenty four divided by X equals six.” Brian and I had been talking just a few days ago about one of the students he is tutoring and about how some kids just don’t get math when you throw letters into the equation. Their brains don’t work that way.

 

Interested to see what he thought about this new kind of math I commented to him, “Hey! You can’t have letters in math can you?”

 

Shrugging his shoulders he blew me off by saying, “The X just means a number.”

 

I wanted to yell, “You got it!! Not everyone can do that!” Proud parent isn’t really the right way to describe how I felt because he hadn’t really done anything yet but it made me really excited for him. Maybe I was just feeling proud to know he has the potential to excel in what Brian and I both enjoy. We’ve always been able to relate to this kid. Both of us. Little by little his personality and gifts are showing. I’d be lying if I didn’t admit to loving that he’s a bit of a numbers kid. I don’t know how we’ll handle a kid wanting to pick a major on “the other side of campus.” Won’t be long until we find out…Maddie and her free, creative spirit isn’t far behind him in age.

1 comment:

Erin said...

you go, Ben!!! great job. numbers folks are awesome.