Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Said a Mother of One to a Mother of Four...

Once upon a time I was at Mali's house with Ben when he was my only little one. He didn't eat much of his lunch and neither did her three girls. She was cleaning up and asked if I wanted her to throw out Ben's food. A conversation ensued about how Mali dumps the plates after a meal and I pack it up and put it in the fridge for later. Just seemed like such a waste to chuck all that food. He had left overs from every single meal and he always ate them within the next day at one meal or another. Mali questioned why I would bother to go to all that work to keep track of it. I was adamant that it was about not wasting and I remember always having to clean my plate at home growing up. I had full intentions to always do it. Why change? It worked for us. And she dumped her girls picked at remnants of lunch in the trash can. Fast forward three or four years. I have three kids now. I never (almost) save anything anymore. It's too nasty and gross for me to want to touch it and repackage it for later. Usually there isn't enough to care about in the first place. The saved food always just went moldy in the fridge anyway with Maddie because I could no longer keep track of it and juggle making a new meal for everyone else. Etc, etc, etc. I have to say I ate my words. Some things aren't worth worrying about in the end. So we waste a piece of bread from each loaf...who cares in the end? I wonder what else the wise, experienced and amazing Mali is right about. Only time will tell. Of course she won't be here to revel in it, not that sweet Mali ever would, but still, she'll miss the show. Last Sunday as I drove home from church and turned off of Roberts onto Zion I got a little bit mad at her. I can't believe they aren't around anymore. It just doesn't register in my head yet. On a typical Sunday morning we both hit that traffic light at the exact same time on our way to church. The light seems to always be in our favor and we fly past them as they wait for the light to turn. This morning I looked for their familar white van out of habit. No one was there and it made me sad. We'll miss them terribly. So to a mother of four (now five) from a mother of one (now three)...Thank You! Our family will miss you guys. You are wonderful friends. I learned a lot from you, Mali. A lot. Good luck on your adventures in Thailand. We're already awaiting your return in two or three years.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

We miss them too. Sad days. Thanks for the heads up about saving food though...nothing is worse than having to clean out moldy food from the fridge, better to just toss it to begin with!

Laura said...

Oh, the wisdome we gain!