Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, May 13, 2011

Why?

Why are house sizes still quoted in square feet here instead of square meters?

 

Why is the speed limit abbreviation kmh instead of kph like we do mph?

 

Why does my car have a DVD player in it?  Those are for long road trips.  I can cross the country in 30 minutes which is not long enough to merit turning on a movie.

 

Why do I have to remember to go to the weigh station with my produce to get everything bagged and tagged before I go check out and pay?

 

Why are paper clips triangular?  We do like the lip that helps them slide nicely over the stack of papers.  Genius!

 

Why are prepositions optional?  People here don’t use of, from, to, after, for and other words like that.

 

Why do you drive on the left side of the road, except when you don’t?  When entering many parking garages the arrows switch sides on you.  People often park their cars on the side of two lane roads with no shoulder so you have to weave in and out around cars watching for oncoming traffic doing the same.

 

Why twice?  When speaking with others, particularly in the markets or shops, they repeat everything twice. “Good deal.  Good deal.”  “Very yummy.  Very yummy.” “You like? You like?” “Thank you. Thank you.”  I’ve even done it myself once or twice.  It makes the sides of my mouth turn up in a grin when I notice what I’ve done.

 

Singapore is a great place to live!  You should all come visit.  We’ll show you a great time.

No comments: