Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Growing as Fast as a Watched Pot Boils and Other Happenings

Seriously? Ben got his flu shot today so I had Brian check his weight while he was in at the office. This kid just doesn't grow. 36.8 lbs. Come on! He is 5 1/2 years old. At this rate he'll still be in a booster seat when starts his freshman year at college. Poor guy. Something must be happening though. While his pants are getting shorter, they are also falling off his waist now. While his body may not be growing, we know his brain is. He's become really interested in things around him. Kindergarten and the independence that has introduced him to has been a beautiful thing. He is exposed to so much good stuff at school. I learned quickly to not ask or probe too much about what he does everyday. It makes him really mad and frusterated to feel pestered. Instead, if we spend time together doing other things, he shares just about everything I would have wanted to know anyway. Thursday Kristie and I got out lawn chairs for us and a big basket of balls and orange cones for the kids to play with. Ben told me he had a great idea for a new game we could play. I guess they played it at school. He had me call out, "Start kicking!" He and Parker would start dribbling the soccer balls. Then I was to yell out a body part like, head, elbow, foot, ear, nose. When I told them the body part, they would stop kicking and put their body part on the ball. It was so much fun! The boys were laughing so hard they would fall off the balls when I called out "Head!" because they couldn't balance. Today while we listened to General Conference in the morning he got out some old wood shapes from the craft drawer and started tracing the school bus. He colored it yellow with black wheels and red stop sign just like his school bus. Then he gave it to Maddie. He liked it so well, he made another and another and another. It took a considerable amount of time, but in the end, he went to the basement to retrieve Brian. He had laid out all four buses on the coffee table for his contest. We had to vote which bus we liked best. The bus driving on the black road over an underground river was the winner. It was a close contest though. The bus driving up a volcano through the mountains was a really close second. Ben also told me that, "I am a really good bus drawer because I ride one." I'm totally enjoying this new kindergartener. He's fun and funny.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Cute Ben. You're right - on the small side. But only in size. His personality is big! We love that little guy! Eliza mentioned him today. "You know! Ben Arveseth Mom! From Virginia??" Hmmmm... I said, "You mean Ben Zufelt?" Oh. Yeah. Sorry I haven't phoned you back Ang. It's on my list. I just need a few free seconds during daylight hours. And for some reason - they are sparse! Miss you! And Love you!