Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Saturday, October 3, 2009

SWEET! I Got a Hit from Brisbane Australia!

My blog follower thing-a-ma-jig tells me someone in Brisbane Australia checked me out a few hours ago. That means my brother and his family are getting settled a bit. They even updated their blog after a wild month or two trying to sell off all their things (furniture, cars, house, etc), pack up the rest and move to the other side of the world. I'm so excited for them and jealous at the same time. Heck, we took the job in Virginia so we could go overseas. Four and a half years later, here we sit. Fortunately, we're pretty happy sitting here. It is absolutely gorgeous this time of year in Virginia. We love our house, our school, our church, our commute, our patriotic city, our neighbors, our huge field out the front door, our creek, our lake, our apple orchards and our friends. It will be hard to leave if the opportunity ever does present itself. I'm not 100% sure I'd still say yes, because my life is just to close to picture perfect. For now, I'll happily live vicariously through their experiences and be totally excited for their big adventure. And, of course, being a true decendant of my world traveling Grandma Robinson, I'll start looking for plane tickets so I can go visit them! Now our big question - take the kids so they can see the cousins or leave them. Ugh. We think only Ben would do okay. The other two could be a complete and total nightmare and not appreciate the trip in the end at all. It's flipping day and night almost completely. Nap time would be a disaster since we want to sight see. And can you say 14 hour plane ride twice in two weeks? I shutter to think how bad that could be. Suggestions? Comments? What would you do?

2 comments:

Juli said...

If I could afford it, I would bring the kids, because the area is totally kid friendly. They could go to the beach and walk along the river and did you see the Koala preserve where they actually let you hold a koala! Besides, as I have learned, kids adjust way faster than grown ups. Two days and they're over the jet lag whereas the adults are still waking up at 12 am feeling really hungry. I think December or January is a good time, next year. The kids are all on holiday and then you could miss winter in the Virginia - double wammy. Then again it would totally be fun to have a little alone time - with your brother and his 5 children. You guys are awesome. We'll gladly share our life with you. Your day is coming. We waited for 5 years for this assignment.

Brent said...

Our experience is that the littlest ones had the easiest transition. They handled the long plane ride easily (strapped into their car seats, of course) and seemed to switch over to the local time much faster than we did.