Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Missing the USA

My kids miss their old life.  They are quite happy here, but I know they would move back home if they could.  Frankly, by the time we move home the feeling will be the same only in reverse.  It’s all about establishing your life.  Having friends.  Knowing what to expect.  All of that is a bit shaky here still.

I had to change my language lately.  If we were going to the pool I might holler, “Time to pack up and get your swim suits.”  Maddie and Ben instantly ask if we are going back to Virginia today with bright happy faces.

Then there was the day last week I decided that I wanted to rearrange things in the closet on the main floor. I tossed the luggage in there the week we moved in and hadn’t really organized it.  I wanted the luggage on the second floor above the wardrobes since we don’t need to get to it often.  I pulled every suitcase and backpack we own out into the dining room and then called the kids to help me take them up the stairs.  Maddie was beyond elated!  “Are we moving back home today?!?!?!”  Ben thought it too and Jacob, who usually just follows along, asked if we were going on an airplane.

It all sort of rips at my heart.  I know they are fine.  We’re over the tantrums and into our routines but they miss their friends.  They miss their big grassy field out the front door.  They miss having our pool literally next door to the house.  They miss the summer swim team.  They miss Oak View Elementary.  They miss the Hyatts who just flew out of Singapore last week (actually that’s made it worse for the kids to know they left and we aren’t).  They miss Costco pizza.  I miss the momma’s big red truck (I’m glad it’s getting all the love it deserves from Doug because this wanna be minivan just doesn’t do it for me).  They miss Anthony, Becca and Reagan being free for play dates any day or time.  They miss Claudia and Aimee doting on them every time they see them.  They miss the Hertig family dog, Teddy who loved to play with them in the field.  They miss sledding in the snow.  They miss their moon bounce.  They miss their townhome.  Their church friends.

Moving is hard.  They’ve done well. I need to remember to reassure them that it’s still okay to miss that stuff.  I know I do even if I totally love our new life.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Awww, those sweet kids. Hard stuff. No words of advice. Just that we love you and miss you.