Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Lost My Tunes

Well, I lasted a long time. Longer than usual. Record breaking I'd say. I love Christmas music and will listen to it almost year round. Brian has always teased me that it would be impossible for me to wait any longer than July to break it out and listen to it on a regular basis. Of course I always contended that I wasnt THAT bad. One summer three years ago I was driving to the church early one Friday morning and popped in a Christmas CD for the first time of the summer. I laughed so hard I had tears running down my face when I realized it was July 1. So I did make it to July, but only by about six hours.

I don't argue with him anymore. I freely admit I'm a Christmas music junkie. That's what makes this morning all the more depressing. I realized my laptop has ALL my Christmas music on it. I've got nothing now. I suppose I can go to the basement and dig out an old CD or cassette tape. Do you realize our kids certainly won't know what cassette tapes are, possibly not even CDs? Weird.

Now it's got me lamenting my loss. This is just what I have remembered so far that I lost:

  • every email address I used in the last 11 years
  • all of our finances for the last 10 years, (accounts, investments, budget history, plus the "finance date" data Brian made us do before he would ask to marry me so he knew he could afford me - ultimately putting my worth at $82 dollars in the red each month)
  • well over 100 family home evening lessons that took countless hours of work to make
  • passwords to all my accounts for EVERYTHING in the entire world
  • journal of my life since I was 16 or 17 years old (including documents in Word and sent mail from my emails)
  • thousands of preschool files for teaching Maddie's preschool
  • my Christmas card list and every letter I've written since 2000
  • address and phone numbers for anyone that matters in our lives
  • every single real estate analysis tool, contract, spreadsheet and picture I've every taken
Dang. I'm depressed. I need a little Jingle Bells to cheer me up. It's off to the basement to rummage through old dusty CDs.

1 comment:

Brent said...

This nightmare continues--maybe this is why baby Jacob screams all the time. He was really telling you to backup your files...

I guess this means that Brian hasn't been able to recover the system yet. One thing I will say, though, is that it might be just the laptop shell. I had something very similar happen to me with a Toshiba laptop when I worked for Accenture in California, and the problem was not the hard drive, it was the shell. I did not lose any data. Unfortunately for you, this is a personal laptop and you don't have the tech support of a massive firm like Accenture to swap shells...

Okay, so what good am I?