Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Saving a Buck on Emissions Testing

Our emissions/safety inspection expired on the truck in January. I always keep that stuff in our finance program to flag me in the month it is due, then I have 30 days to get it done. After the Great Crash of 2009, I lost all our finances. Come mid February I'm driving home from preschool and notice the little window sticker. Oops. We're late. By two weeks. I tried one place that day and they couldn't do it. Mentioned our goof to Brian, he said he'd try but kept forgetting as well. In the end, it was the last day of the month when we got it done. He came and sat beside me and told me he finally got it to the shop. I smirked and told him at this point, we should have waited until Monday March 1 to do it. It would be like getting two months free. See, if you do it the first day of the month after you expire, then over the course of twelve years you will save a whopping $16 by shifting the due date a month each year and buying yourself extra time. Somehow I thought that was such an original idea. Not so. Monday March 1 while I drove down Zion Drive I noticed that the emissions line at the Exxon station was JAM PACKED with cars waiting. My first thought was that they were all planning so well to be there on the first day to get that pesky task taken care of. A quick inspection of the window stickers in line revealed that every last one of them had already expired. Now I'm left to wonder - are they all scheming for that extra free month? Or did they just not get around to getting the test done in February? I'm hoping there was one cheapie in the bunch working my master plan for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can also up the gross weight on your truck to 10001. You pay a little more to register your vehicle but in the end it all equals out to about the same cost. By doing that, you are no longer required to have an emissions test in VA or deal with the lines. :-)