Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Passports, Black Socks and Orange Julius

On Monday I had to report to the US Embassy to claim my passport. I count myself as incredibly lucky that it was found AND returned to the embassy. I didn’t even notice it was gone. I would have freaked out next time we tried to travel and I couldn’t find it. I put it in the drink holder of my backpack after we returned from Hong Kong. Somewhere between the visa checkpoint and the parking lot it fell out. We didn’t even check luggage, just walked straight out. Inside the passport was my Singapore Dependent pass too so that is gone. I feel like an idiot.

In any case Brian came home from work early to take the kids to swim lessons since the pickup window is only open from 3:00 – 3:30 pm. I got my passport and then hit Toys R Us for diapers for Jacob and searched for black socks for Ben. Apparently there is a law here in Singapore that I didn’t know about. Thou shalt not wear black socks. Or maybe it’s a commandment. I had previously looked at three different stores for black socks he could wear to church with no luck. Right outside the Toys R Us is an entire level of specifically children’s clothes. I went into eight different shops (I counted). I looked myself and then asked each and every clerk for black socks. Nope. Only 3 of the stores even had navy blue socks. In the end, I paid $30 for three pairs of navy blue socks which I hope will pass for black. Rip off. Note to self. Only buy navy blue dress pants from now on.

The weather being as it is here, I was parched and as I went down six levels of escalators to get back to the basement any and everything cold seemed to be calling my name. Finally on the last level I caved when I saw a Dairy Queen/Orange Julius stand. The classic Orange Julius sounded cold and fantastic. I placed my order at the counter with the twenty something employee. He looked a bit surprised and repeated my order. Yep. Orange Julius, but now I was doubting myself and asked if they had that. He said that they had real, fresh juice if I would prefer that. It’s made of real fruit. Still confused I asked if they had the original orange Julius drink. Yes they do, but it is made of milk powder and sugar syrup. The juice is real fruit. Ummmm…. Okay. Kid, you have no idea the history I have with powdered milk. If you only knew. Let’s just say I don’t really have a problem with powdered milk. I was raised on it almost from birth and only just recently stopped drinking it because I can’t import that quantity of food into your lovely country. Yes. Gimme my drink kid. I’d like one sugary syrup, artificially flavored orange drink with milk powder. More power to you if you wanna be organic. It’s just not my cup of tea.

It was really good!

No comments: