Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, August 18, 2011

We Got In!! Spanish Immersion at Laurel Ridge

Remember how stressful the whole Spanish immersion program decision was for us?  Then the wait list.  Then the waiting.  Then we moved.  Well, we got a call from Laurel Ridge Elementary School at 2:45 am this morning.  When good news is good you gotta share it, right?  Why not call in the middle of the night.

That local US number is a blessing and a curse.  I don’t think we’ve got any middle of the night calls in the last two months but last night we got two.  At midnight the bank in California called about a loan on a rental house we own.  Then 2:45 the school.  When I saw “Laurel Ridge Elementary” on the caller ID my first thought was that one of the Hyatt kids had another problem like the last time Laurel Ridge called in the middle of the night.  Then I panicked because I was positive Jonathan was injured on the playground. 

As the fog began to clear from my sleepy head I realized that I was sure Jana must have changed my number from the emergency number on her forms  by now and I could hear Brian telling the lady that we moved to Singapore so Ben couldn’t accept the spot.  He hung up the phone and told me, “Ben got into Spanish Immersion at Laurel Ridge.  I told them he couldn’t make it.”  Now that I’m fully awake I realize the Hyatts are still in Warsaw, Poland anyway.  And school hasn’t even started in Fairfax, Virginia yet.  They have another three weeks off before they report back to class.  So thank you dear secretary for ending my night of rest at 2:45 – I rarely get back to sleep once woken up.  It’s gonna be a long, long day now.  At least she will now make the day of whoever was #8 on the wait list.

Things being what they are, I’m not sure I would have had the heart to rip Ben from his happy life at his old school over Spanish anymore.  He was so happy and so settled.  It would have been hard.  Especially to leave his best friend Anthony.  Glad I don’t have to agonize over this decision in the end.

1 comment:

Shirlee said...

We just booked a vacation to Singapore the last weekend of the month. Would love to see you guys. We are driving down from KL and will be there 28th-30th.