Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dear Cathy or Shall I Call You "crc"?

Cathy, I assume your comment/note meant you put your kid in the Spanish Immersion Lottery this year at Laurel Ridge Elementary and didn't get picked? Then you googled it and my blog came up? I can't think of any Cathy I know who was applying for the program and you commented on a post that is about a year old. Just trying to put the pieces together in my head. In any case, you left no email address and your profile is blocked, so I can't reply to you directly. As of the last day of March 2011 we have not yet made it into Laurel Ridge Spanish Immersion. We moved to Singapore in January, but we haven't gotten anything forwarded in the mail and our stateside phone number still works and Laurel Ridge still has it. How do I know that you may ask? Well, they called me once two weeks ago in the middle of the night or during school hours there in Virginia because I was the emergency contact for a good friend there. At 3:30 am some lady is trying to get it through my foggy head that one of the kids needs mom and do I have her cell number. Well I might have it, but it's on a slow moving ocean freighter right now. If the sweet girl can wait three more weeks I can get it to the poor secretary who likely thought I was an idiot. It is actually all pretty funny now that I'm coherent, but the answer to your question is "No." We are still on the wait list. We have never heard if we moved up from slot #7 on the list, but I never called to ask. Just assumed if it happened they would call. Hope this helps if you check back on my blog. Good luck. I hope your kids number is smaller than 7 or the families are more transient this coming year. The program is a great one and we're sad not to be in it. Instead my kids are now learning Chinese. Never would have thought we'd do that. Angie

3 comments:

Verity said...

That is so funny in a twisted, hysterical way! :)

Unknown said...

hey - thanks for the fast response! And yes, you guessed correctly. We're shooting for this fall. All the other immersion schools are so much farther from us, and my daughter really has her hopes pinned on this one. (she has a friend there) I would guess that the out of boundary wait list moves faster than the in boundary (they keep one of each to keep the class at a 50-50 mix). I'm praying about it! School seems to be everything to my kids - which is good, but can make finding the right school nerve wracking.

I read more of your blog and then put two and two together that you're overseas at the moment. Hey, learning Chinese instead - and getting immersed in different cultures - is a fantastic deal! When he closes a door, he opens a window, right? thnx again - Cathy

Angie said...

Cathy? Are you still there? In case you put a "email me all responses to this comment" I thought I'd post an update for you. We got into Laurel Ridge Spanish Immersion tonight/today. We were wait listed at #7 and he is now starting 2nd grade. Of course we're in Singapore so lucky #8 gets their big break today!! Good luck to you and your daughter on the wait list.
Angie azufelt@gmail.com