Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Fire Safety

I'm sure it is all just inferred knowledge, but I remember being SUPER cautious with matches growing up. When we would light candles on birthday cakes, we would have to place the burned match on the back of the sink and keep it there until it cooled off. Knowing how hot fire was, I had no desire to touch the match for fear of being burned. I somehow got it in my head, that it would be hot for a long, long time. Stands to reason, since the campfires in the mountains we made were still warmish the next morning. I remember the matches staying in their safe place on the sink back until the next morning and still being hesitant to pick them up and throw them away in case they were still too hot to throw in the trash. I was very scared that I would light the trash can on fire. I still think of that every time I light a match. I quench it in the sink and toss it out seconds later. I feel irresponsible, even though I feel the match ever time to make sure it is totally cool. It just makes me so nervous. Residual effects of my skewed childhood views. Makes me smile now.

1 comment:

Claudia said...

I understand what you mean about matches. I was afraid that you were going to say that Ben or Maddy played with matches. Whew! Love the picture. Is that the one Stephanie Pilling took?