Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, May 8, 2009

Why All Parks Need a Potty

Today we went to Pope's Head Park with all our friends for Playgroup. Everyone knows this is one of the best parks, but it doesn't have a bathroom, so I made sure Ben went before we left the house. About an hour later, he had to go again. No big thing. I sent him off in the woods a way to take care of his business. When I looked to check on him a minute later, he wasn't exactly doing what I expected. He had decided that since he had flip flops on, that he didn't want to walk out far amongst the pine needles and had come back to the very outer edge of the trees, right next to the picnic table. He was also facing us, I asked him to turn around and look the other way. Showing some general understanding of why I might make that request, he told me, "But Mom, it's going to come out the back this time, so I was looking this way at you so you don't see it come." Blushing, I handed Jacob to a friend and decided that Ben might need a little more help than I had originally thought. Baby wipes and empty white trash bag in hand, I headed with him to the woods. I was quickly reminded why I love that I don't have to be involved in the process with him anymore. He told me all about the progress he was making, blow by blow. How one particular poop "might actually be too big for the hole" and how he wasn't sure "it will fit out" and genuine pride when he had the situation worked out. Many other lovely things were shared that I will leave a mystery. I wonder when kids develop that social conscience that tells them, no, it isn't appropriate to discuss your bathroom situations with others. Potty training with Maddie starts in a few short weeks. I am not looking forward to the same upcoming discussions with her for the next 12 months. The life of a stay at home mom is surely one filled with glory and prestige.

1 comment:

Stephanie Pilling said...

oh my goodness...i wondered what you two were doing over there! :)