Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

High Adventure Bike Ride!!

Saturday morning we had our high adventure bike ride planned. I did this particular trail about three years ago with them last time the girls did it. I thought I was doing to die. I was one of the last to finish. My knee troubles only made my out of shape body situation worse. I had been dreading this day since I heard the location of the ride back in January. Endlessly trying to figure a way out of it. But when you're incharge of stuff, it's hard to bail. Then of course, it fell on my week from hell. I had so much to do I was physically and emotionally overwhelmed and couldn't fathom adding this to the end of my week. What a rotten weekend. But Saturday morning, I woke up. Loaded the bike, a few spare helmets, granola bars and water for the girls and drove to the marina where we planned to start our seven mile ride to Mount Vernon (yes, the real Mount Vernon). I have an incredibly vivid memory of how to get places and what roads and the surroundings look like even years later. Because of this, I knew exactly what I was going to face. I was disappointed to see that the hills were just as steep as I remembered them to be. There were just as many tough inclines as there were last time. They were just as grewling to ascend. Everyone eventually made it to the top and after a really long time, the entire group returned to the marina. At the end of it all, people climbed off their bikes with aching legs and sore bottoms to rest their bodies on the grass. When the last person returned, I climbed down. My legs felt wobbly. I was tired. But I made it. 14 miles up and back on the bikes. Want to know the sad part? I drove the support vehicle. I delivered water and picked up the injured or exhausted. I didn't pedal a single yard but my knees hurt and my left hip was sore. They started popping on Thursday. About two week after I started doing that darn Couch to 5K program. I just wasn't meant to exercise I tell you. I'm not built for it. I couldn't ride for fear of inflicting major injury. I did chuckle a little bit to watch the girls after the ride and realize I was hobbling like them, but hadn't rode and inch. Sad to admit the true magnitude of my wimpiness.

No comments: