Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, May 3, 2010

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Yuck.  Today is sticky, sticky.  Maybe I should cave and shut the windows and crank up the AC.  The humidity is so thick. I hate days like today.  The ever constant reminder of the wild hairs around my face fizzing out like I put my hand in an electric socket despite how many times I wet then back into place.  Today I have all the windows open, fans on, lights off.  Everything in the house feels sticky, even the perfectly clean kitchen table and chairs are sticky with moisture.
 
It reminds me that one of my favorite things in Utah was the dryness.  Two years ago when our basement would flood on a semi-regular basis.  We would pull up the carpet, drag out the fans and the beastly dehumidifier to try to suck the water out of the carpet and pad as fast as possible so nothing would mold and we wouldn't have to replace them...again and again.  Everything had to be moved and shifted every couple of hours to keep the process going.  The dehumidifier had to be dumped of gallons and gallons of water (I stopped counting at 30 gallons), the fans had to be moved to new positions, the carpet had to be lifted/rolled/flopped into a new position each time.
 
On one particular day when I went down in the murky dungeon to move things around, I stepped on the carpet directly in front of the dehumidifier.  I stopped dead in my tracks.  It was such an amazing feeling on my feet.  It was.  No.  It couldn't be.  Not in my house.  But yes.  It was.  UTAH CARPET!!!  It was dry as a bone.  Completely dry carpet.  No Gulf Coast/East Coast humidity.  It was so exciting I laid down right there.  Dry carpet.  If you don't understand what I'm talking about, you should totally go out west to the desert and lay down on the carpet.  I can't ever get comfortable laying on carpet anymore.  At least not since 2002 when we left the west.  In Houston I always had this underlying feeling of filth in my house because I couldn't get used to the difference.  It just doesn't have the feeling of "clean" to me.  It could be brand new, but it's not quite right.
 
If you live in a dry place, can you do me a favor?  Lay on your carpet and enjoy it today for just a minute or two and indulge for me.  My mom says one thing she loves about me is my oddball sense of noticing the random details.  Of course she probably said it with much more tact since I wasn't offended that she was calling me a weirdo.  I love weird things like having an airplane shadow go over me, eating M&M candies in colored pairs so I can chew one on each side of my mouth and stuff like that.  It's just so satisfying.
 
I'm thinking about ordering the book 1000 Awesome Things.  I think it would be right up my alley.
 
What odd thing do you enjoy that no one else would ever notice?

2 comments:

Juli said...

I notice the angle of the sun. It makes me feel sentimental. When I was little, we lived in Alaska - where the sun is always at an angle. When the sun comes in sideways like that, it makes me want to hold my dad's hand and go hunting mushrooms in the forest. (Just for the record, you probably shouldn't eat mushrooms unless you're with someone who knows them - like my dad.)

Brent said...

I have a solution for the frizzy hair thing, Ang, and I think you know what that is...


BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!