Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Making Big Moves

Monday night we finally told the kids about our plans. We're moving to Singapore. According to the company it will be last quarter this year, therefore we are planning on first quarter next year. I've been doing a serious, SERIOUS clean out and dejunk for six months. We've given away mountains of stuff and some furniture too. I'm trying to streamline my life and be realistic about my needs vs comfort items and wants. Ben is still having some anxiety in new situations so I have been very nervous about this change, but in the present moment I've been petrified to tell him of the change. I've been putting the idea out in his head for about two months I think. Seems like forever. First time he heard the idea didn't go well at all. We were Skyping with Brian's parents right after he had got word of the potential opportunity. With the kids all right there, he out and told his parents about the move in the works. Ben freaked out. He was NOT going with us. He was mad and sulky and sat on the couch with a furrowed brow and arms folded tightly across his chest. And that's the way he stayed for a good month. The more we talked about "going on an amazing adventure" and "living in a place where we could go visit Uncle Shon easier" the more he relaxed about it. On Monday night I got a few books from the library about Singapore and some fun ones for the kids. Next they got ice cream and we sugared them up real good. Then we broke the news. It was a bit anti-climatic compared to what I had thought would happen but in a good way. I was happy they seem okay with our big news. And now we commence the waiting.

2 comments:

Verity said...

WOW! Your potential move is a LOT bigger than our move to VA was. But, for what it's worth, we understand and appreciate what it's like trying to warm your kids up to the idea! ;) Just let Ben know that if the Cushings hadn't gone on their "big adventure," then Wade wouldn't have met Ben and had fun with him in Joy School. The way we look at it, our circle of friends grows and we have lots of cool stories to tell people! Can't wait to hear about the process...

Megan said...

OK, so seriously how did I miss this!? Singapore! WOW! That is crazy! We have some BYU friends who live there if you need anything-I'm not positive where they're at, but they've been there a year. Let me know and I can put you in touch with them.