Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, January 14, 2011

Shalmeno

Do you know what a 'shalmeno' is?  Neither did I.  For a very long time, I sung that line of a favorite song blindly.  That's what the lady taught me in primary so that's what I sang.  I have no idea when I figured it out, but I'm guessing around 9 or 10 years old.  I was playing the song on the piano when I read the words as I played.  "As I have loved you, love one another.  This new commandment: Love one another.  By this SHALL MEN KNOW ye are my disciples, if ye have love, one to another."  Boy did I feel stupid.  I couldn't sing that song for about ten more years without thinking about it.
 
Maddie Mae has made her own blunder this Christmas.  "Oh, come let us IGNORE him; Oh, come let us ignore him; Oh, come, let us ignore him, Christ, the Lord." she sings over and over.  She can't remember any other lines and can't seem to get this one right.  On the up side, she genuinely didn't know what ignore OR adore meant when Brian asked about it.  He explained, now she thinks it's hilarious to sing it wrong.  I hoped it would pass, but no luck yet.  It's been over a month.

3 comments:

Verity said...

FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!

Cath said...

Uncanny. We had the EXACT same experience. It wasn't until I was reading the words to the hymn that I figured out there was no such thing as a Shalmeno. I thought it was some kind of fish. (!) Maddie's "ignore" is just too cute.

Juli said...

I always thought it was "teach me all that I'm a stew." I always wondered why I was a stew. Same thing with the "donzerly light." (Dawn's Early Light.) I still hear it that way.