Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Kid Updates

Maddie Mae – Wears socks on her hands almost daily, the fancier the better in her opinion. Last night I finally put the pieces together. They are her fancy princess gloves like the long white ones Cinderella wears to the ball. She cracks me up.

Jacob – Has begun to stutter. Sort of. He has been saying the “t” sound after most of his sentences. Otherwise he speaks almost crystal clear in full sentences, at least for a two year old. How he will say stuff like, “Jakey want go with daddy in a car t-t-t-t-t.” Jenny suggested today that it was because I was teaching Maddie how to read. Are you scratching your head like I was? She explained it happened to her two girls when she was teaching the older one to read. The younger daughter was imitating the repetitive sounds made when you are sounding out a word (s-i-t) and the adult will repeat a sound to help them understand and remember. Makes total sense to me so I’m buying her theory. Otherwise I’ve got no explanation why he stutters a “t” after sentences that don’t even end in the letter.

Ben – Came home from school and his white polo shirt was clean for the first time in three weeks. Of course I noticed and teased him, “Ben, I can tell you didn’t have any fun at school today.” “Huh?” “Well, your shirt is totally clean and white still so I know you didn’t have any fun.” The grin starts across his face immediately, “Oooooh, NO! I had LOTS of fun! We had recess on the rooftop playground and I climbed into the tunnel tube (he begins sketching out a schematic diagram of the playground on scratch paper so I can understand) and when I was right here (points) I was right above the girls (draws two stick figures). And so I listened really carefully to them and got their secret plan to chase Caleb around the playground. I snuck out and told him so he didn’t get caught and he ran away. It was AWESOME!!”

I guess recess play is the same across the world. He played spy on the girls in first grade in Virginia too. Although there he usually chose to be on the girls team so he could protect them. (Smooth. Get in good with the ladies.) Not sure if we should worry about his love interests yet. He definitely liked someone in his last school class. Too bad he missed the Fairy Tale Ball right after we moved or he could have had the chance to dance with his fair maiden. This week when we read who gave him valentine cards on Monday night his face lit up when I read MacKenzie’s name. “Do you know who she is yet?” “OH YEAH! She stands in front of me in the lunch line and she is the funniest girl in the whole class. I like to be by her.”

I remember first grade. Recess was filled with kissing tag for the better part of a year. Mostly I didn’t like it. Nathan liked my best friend Bethany and his best friend John liked me. I recall going in during recess in tears to Mrs. Zagarella to tell her I wanted them to stop. Wasn’t a whole lot to be done I guess. She explained it was because they liked us, but I wasn’t impressed at all. Just mad at stupid John and dumb Nathan. After first grade though I don’t remember any romantic encounters for anyone until about fifth grade. Maybe we’ll be in the clear soon. People here don’t date until they are much older than they do in the States and don’t marry until much later in life. Hopefully that translates into the younger grades too.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Love the recess story! Yesterday, B was teasing J "you missed me, you missed me" as they chased each other around. When I said "missed me, you missed me, now you gotta kiss me", B thought it was hilarious and asked where I heard it. Gosh, the memories that brought back. So I had to make sure to tell her she can only say that to her brother. :)