Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Legitimate Snow Day

The Snow Day this time seemed a bit more legitimate than the last one. We got a ton of snow. It was all powder though. Powdery snow and wind. The kids and I had a hard time keeping our eyes open on our hill because he wind would whip through the field and blow the snow like a blizzard. The snow was so dry that despite a valiant effort, we couldn't really make a snowman and the sledding hill wasn't slippery in the least. I had to pull the sleds up the hill, hold hands to get the kids to the top, then PULL them the entire way down to keep the sleds moving. What a joke. So, sledding didn't last long.
We ended up in the backyard having a blast. My favorite part was when Ben asked Maddie, "Would you like to come to my class?" Maddie, "Yeah Ben." Ben, "Good, it's a snow angel class. Mom, I'm going to be teaching Maddie how to make snow angels, okay?" We slid down the slides on the playground contraption in our backyard into piles of fluffy snow and used the beach bucket to make little snow castles for a while. It was hard to get the snow castles to stay together, but Maddie and I managed to get a row of them built. Then the kids searched for sticks to make flags on every one.
When I went to the front yard to grab a shovel to clear off the deck, Ben destroyed all the snow castles Maddie and I had made. Every one was completely gone when I returned 90 seconds later. I asked what happened and he said he didn't know for a few times. I'm not stupid. Then it was an accident that he destroyed every last one. Yeah right!! Liar, liar, pants on fire. I asked again, reminding him to tell the truth. Still, it was an accident. I reminded him another time that when we choose to lie, we choose to lose a privilege. He lied again that he didn't know how they all "got gone". Eventually, he came clean that he had wanted to destroy all the castles. He wasn't allowed to watch is favorite show as his punishment for lying (not for destroying the castles). Why does my child insist on lying about things that don't really matter? I hate taking privileges away, but the kid's gotta learn he can't feed me bold faced lies.

We ended the day with a playdate at the Hyatt's house. The kids had a wild and fun time doing all sorts of silly indoor things like having a band with kitchen spoons and empty #10 cans and other fun things. We had dinner and then FHE. Emma (7 yrs old) taught us about prayer then we played animal charades. It was fun. Then we took our tired, cranky kiddos home and threw Maddie right into bed. Ben decided he was still hungry when we got home at 8:00 and asked if he could have some bread. He got a bag of hamburger buns for his snack and we went upstairs. After 20 minutes he hadn't come upstairs yet so we went to check on him. He must have been starving. He had eaten three whole buns and was working on another one, which he abandoned half way through. Glad he got a snack because he slept like a log until late the next morning.

Fun day.

No comments: