Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Why?

We're in that terrible stage with Maddie that I HATE. She is highly verbal and has been speaking in complete sentences for almost a year already. I find myself expecting more out of her sometimes than is reasonable. The thing driving me nuts right now is that she hasn't yet wrapped her mind around the meaning of the word "why." Ben: "Maddie ________ (fill in blank with some type of mischief like steal Ben's glasses)" Mom: "Maddie, go to time out." Fast forward two minutes of timeout on the stairs. Mom: "Okay Maddie. Timeout is finished. Come here and lets talk. (she comes) Did you take Ben's glasses?" Maddie: "Yes." Mom: "Was that a good choice?" Maddie: "NO! It was a BAD choice!" Mom: "That's right. Why did you take Ben's glasses?" Maddie: "Yes." Mom: "Why did you take Ben's glasses?" Maddie: "Because I have to go to time out because I taked his glasses!!" Mom: "That's right. If you take Ben's glasses you go to time out. Why did you take his glasses?" Maddie: "I did it." Mom: "Yes. You stole Ben's glasses. Why did you take his glasses? Were you angry?" Maddie: "I was angry." Mom: "Why did you take Ben's glasses? Were you being silly?" Maddie: "Because I was being silly." Mom: "Were you being silly or were you angry?" Maddie: "Yes. I was." I wish she'd hurry up and learn what "why" means so she can answer my questions and we can logic out why she is making bad choices. Of course, that would work, right? My other thought is that I am insane. Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result? Why do I even ask Maddie "why"? It's just a waste of my time anyway.

No comments: