Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ben's New Glasses


Ben did lots better today when we went to get his glasses. I have definitely felt some strong impressions that the best way to encourage him is to make everything no big deal. With Maddie, we do crazy wild potty dances to celebrate and get her excited. That never really worked with Ben. Same thing here. When I try to talk about the glasses or make an exciting show of anything in his life, he clams up and becomes very uncomfortable. We talked about going to pick them up and that he would have to wear them all the days after then. He just took it in stride.


No throwing glasses on the floor this time. He let the doctor put them on his face and check for a second that they fit right. Then we got him to mutter a "Thank You" before we left the office. He told me he didn't like them and that it made things bigger and the sun was brighter as we drove to Fosse Preschool. I agreed that he didn't have to wear them to preschool, but when I picked him up, he would wear them the rest of the day. I went to my meetings and upon my return put his glasses in Potsy's hands and went inside to get him.


He was excited to see me and Potsy. He noticed the glasses and didn't say a word. He held them as we talked for a minute. As soon as we got in the truck, he put them right on. While we drove home, he casually asked simple questions about them, like can they get water and rain on them? Where do we put the glasses case? Etc...


To quietly celebrate, we had a Mommy-Ben Library Date after dinner. We got lots of books and read them together without the constant interruption of Maddie pulling books off the shelves and me having to chase her. It was really nice.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Gosh, he's so grown up and so handsome in his glasses