Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, July 28, 2008

Scream-fest Summer '08

aka Visiting the Dentist... When Ben was 3 and then 3 1/2 we had multiple problems, he freaked out at the regular dentist, big time...not because they traumatized him...he never even touched the chair to sit down. So they finally told me he was old enough that he had to be seen and if they couldn't do it, I needed to try a pediatric dentist with balloons and toys and stuff. So we found one and took him at 3 1/2. He screamed the entire time we were there. I had to physically restrain him so they could examine him on my lap. When we left, he told me, "Don't worry, next time we come I'll be four years old and when I'm four, I won't be scared of the dentist anymore." Today was he next 6 month check up. We scheduled Maddie too. I had been psyching myself up for the trip and doing it alone for weeks now. I was trying to tell myself that I could trust Ben's 6 month old promise to do great. When it came down to it, I chickened out. Brian came along. Good thing he did. Both Ben and Maddie had to be restrained so they could even brush their teeth with a regular brush on Brian's lap while I calmed the other kid and distracted them with a movie or balloons. Ben is getting super strong by the way... The second Maddie was done, she was totally fine and watched Ben telling me it was Ben's turn to clean his teeth and climbing on the examination chair, happy as can be. Ben clung desperately to us, even after his turn was over. I have no idea how to make him stop freaking out at everything new to him. I'm so desperately open to any and all advise. Next time will be even more crazy as it will be complicated with a 2 month old baby tagging along...yikes.

No comments: