Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Independance Day

The Fourth of July 2008

Megan, one of my super cool friends, said it best, "A bit underwhelming, but still fun."

We went to our ward pancake breakfast early so the crazy people could go to the Fairfax parade. I had to pick Ben up out of bed, dress him and carry him to the car. It was 8 am, but he was wiped out. Usually he's up at 7.

Angie, Ben and Maddie riding the Metro


Then we hung out at the house, enjoying NOT doing anything for an hour or so before we headed to our monthly appointment with Home Depot Kid class. Ben looks forward to it all month, so we cannot miss. We went with Lauren and Rocky this month, then did a super expensive Costco run on the way home. We got Ben Hooked on Phonics and he loves it! Mostly it was all about opening all the packages as fast as he could.

Maddie and reflection on Metro



Afternoon brought nap time for everyone but me. I crammed out stuff for YW Camp in two weeks as fast as I could so I could catch some ZZZ's with the rest of the bunch. Alas, little feet came down the stairs and I was still on the computer. Oh well. I got a lot done and then we headed to the Soderborg's house for a relaxing BBQ.

Megan, Jackson and Brigham watching fireworks.


At 7:30 we headed downtown on the Metro to watch the fireworks with Megan, Lauren and all the little people. We got separated in the mess of people trying to buy train tickets and we jumped on the train. When we connected via cell phone, I was about to give quick last minute instructions of where we were headed and which train transfer to take to get to Arlington when the Metro entered the tunnel. Oh well, huh? Just cross your fingers and hope...

Maddie on Angie's shoulders watching fireworks



We got to Arlington Cemetery and actually found everyone again. We watched the fireworks and had a pleasant time. Brian heard that an explosion in a port in China "used" about 40% of the fireworks for this year. I'd say that was about right. It was a lot shorter than it should have been. Plus, note for next year, check the wind report. On top of only getting 60% of the fireworks, we only saw the left half of what they lit off. The smoke all blew in our view. So, I figure we saw 30% of what we should have.

Rocky and Ben watching fireworks.



Oh well, I shouldn't complain. I got to watch the fireworks over the Lincoln and Washington Monuments! I celebrated the nations birthday in the nations capitol, the heart of it all. Seriously, who gets to do that? We love living here!

Angie and Lauren


Coming home was an adventure in itself. The kids were tired, the trains were slow and my closest 5,000 people were all stuffed in the same train car as us. Seriously, we couldn't move an inch and sweat was running down everyone's faces. Exhausted Ben was standing at our feet. His head was just the same height as Maddie's feet and she was having tantrum after tantrum. Poor kid. I'm surprised he didn't end up with a black eye. Finally, we told him to just sit down on the floor to stay safe.

No comments: