Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, March 11, 2011

The $2 Store Adventure and Buses in Singapore

After school today we got Ben from the bus.  On the way up the elevator I announced by grand plan.  The kids had allowance money they were dying to spend and because it was the weekend we didn’t have to rush to do homework, dinner and bedtime. We were going to go home, drop off the backpack, use the bathroom then rush out to catch the shuttle a few minutes later.  Ben had a gigantic smile on his face as he thought of the possibilities of all he could buy at Daiso, the $2 Japanese store.  He told me, “Okay.  I’m going to get ready by pushing it all forward to the point but not quite out yet. That would make a mess.”  Took me a minute to figure out what he was talking about.

Maddie started getting allowance when we arrived here, so she had a bit less than Ben.  I reported to them what they each had in their piggy banks before we left.  Maddie $4 = 2 items.  Ben $14 and suggested he only spend $4 for an equivalent 2 items so he had some money for later.  He must have a bit of me in him because he decided that it wasn’t fair that he had lots more money.  He offered to buy Maddie one toy and give her the $2 to pay for it.  Maddie was elated and said a lot of “thank you’s” for his generosity. 

At the store she thought for ages over that really important third toy.  She wanted a small stuffed toy but wasn’t sure which one to get.  Ben started to tell her which ones would be most helpful when they play house together. Finally she selected a dog.  Ben paid for it and as we walked away from the cashier desk she told him, “Ben I actually got the dog for you.  It’s like my present to you.”

“Wow! So it actually WAS worth buying you a toy. I actually got to keep the thing I bought with my money so it’s like I got my money back. Thanks for the dog, Maddie.”  This is the second time the exact same thing has happened with these two.  They are so sincere and cute sometimes.

We took the bus home.  The bus drops us off at the shopping mall that is connected to our apartment building.  The bus pulls into a two lane drop off/pick up zone full of private cars, buses and taxis.  When we board or exit we must cross both lanes of traffic.  It’s not too wild, but it can be busy.  Jacob has a healthy fear of the taxis and their honking so as soon as his feet hit the ground he bolted behind the bus and in front of a stopped taxi in an attempt to get out of the road.  He tripped on the lip of the curb and plowed into some random guy. 

About 5 people all rushed to pick him up and wipe him off.  I assured them that despite the tears he was just fine. Mostly he was scared of being in the road close to a blue taxi.  Before I could do anything the guys female companion starts pulling individually wrapped chocolate frosting and sprinkle covered donuts out of her shopping bag.  I tell her it isn’t necessary, Jake hit into them, it was his fault.  She is worried about his tears and totally adamant that we take it.  Then she sees I have two other children.  Pulls one out and hands it to Maddie who smiles at her prize.  Then she’s out.  She offers Ben a chinese something we’ve never seen before and feels just terrible she has nothing else.  I can’t believe my kids are getting sweets from a stranger because they got hit.  All of this in about 60 seconds and we walk home to split the two donuts.

No comments: