Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Driving

I already find it weird that cars drive on the wrong side of the road on TV.  All of our TV shows are from the US and I’m accustomed to driving on the other side of the road now. Kind of funny.

Driving didn’t turn out to be as hard as I had imagined.  At first I was really nervous about it.  After two weeks of occasional errand running with Brian driving I was ready, but he still took the car every day and I didn’t have anywhere to go.  By the time we hit the fourth week and I still hadn’t driven I had sort of psyched myself out.  Totally scared.  Not so much to drive on the road, but to get in and out of teeny tiny parking garages with our long minivan and especially to back into parking spaces.  That is what everyone does and it sure does make it easier to get out, that’s for sure.

Finally I had to drive Maddie to her trial day at preschool.  Brian had figured out how to get to work using public transit.  Driving went quite well.  The streets are so busy that it’s just a game of follow the leader.  At first, as long as I wasn’t first in line at a traffic light I’m perfectly fine.  Now it’s not a big deal anymore other than I have to pay attention to what I’m doing and what lane to be in.

2 comments:

Dennison4Ever said...

I have been enjoying reading about your new adventures! Good luck!!!

Brent said...

You are so going to love being with us for a bit in Bangkok...

You know, after 18 months of driving a right-hand drive vehicle, my first instinct when backing is still to check over my right shoulder. That said, driving on the left feels completely normal and natural. Especially since everyone else is doing it.