Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, March 11, 2011

Buses and Trains in Singapore

I am finding people so extremely helpful on the bus.  I have to help Jake and Maddie up and down the stairs plus lug a stroller, backpack and whatever packages we bought.  I rarely have to carry the stroller up the stairs.  Someone ALWAYS grabs it for me and carries it both on and off the bus then wait for me to see how else they can help.  If we board a bus people see us immediately and we are all three given seats.  It’s fantastic.

Brian does not have the same experience during rush hour traveling by himself.  He’s recently stopped taking anything beyond his bus pass to work.  I’m sure it makes things easier to not be carrying anything when you have to stand for an hour swaying back and forth trying to keep a good footing on the MRT (subway) and 3 buses just to get to work.  The good news is that since few people have cars, buses come about every 10 minutes.  He often walks from one to the other without any wait at all.  Even though his commute is long, he does keep moving the whole time.

It is very unusual to have more than one child here.  I’m sure I must look like a bit of a circus with my standard two. Cracks me up to think in my head that I’ve actually got another one, just isn’t out and about with us most days.  If they only knew, they’d think I was definitely nuts.  Today I played tour guide to a few fellow residents here at the Great World Serviced Apartments.  We had four moms, four umbrella strollers and seven kids between us.  Five of the kids wanted to sit on the back bench of the bus. Unable to persuade anyone to sit by me, I stashed my stroller and another one in my seat and went to supervise the back row bunch.  Half way through the ride my stroller rolled out into the aisle and smashed down.  Multiple people helped pick it up and set it properly back in the seat.  The kids were super excited to be out and on a bus.  They were good, but loud.  We must have looked like such a circus.  At least the ride is only seven minutes.

 

No comments: