Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Church

Loving our new church here.  Same God.  Same community support.  New friendly faces.

Playgroup is real fun and a great chance to sit and get to know the other moms in my shoes and get their thoughts on all the big decisions I have to make like where to live, what school and preschool are best and if I can really survive here without a helper (live in maid) and if I choose not to have one what other options are available to help me out.  Great resources these ladies are!

Few weeks ago the Sunday lesson for the women’s group (Relief Society) was about the value of hard work.  It is necessary to help us be productive and happy contributing members of Gods great world.  Then we broke into small groups to have discussions on questions.  I think my head was about to explode.  Here we are talking about how people had to have their helpers (live in maids) stop doing this or that little thing so their kids could learn to work.  I know I’m new here but I can’t even begin to wrap my mind around what I was hearing.  The helper does the laundry, all the house cleaning and often lots of the cooking and dishes unless you enjoy cooking.  They also care for your kids if you need to run an errand or help at the school.  They will do the grocery shopping via the bus.  And we are talking about the value of work.  I think I need more time to process my new life.  I’ve got fresh American eyes here and they are spinning.

This week the teacher was welcomed back after she had a baby about two months ago.  My friend had asked me if I thought it was okay to nurse her baby during the lesson.  I figured it was okay.  All women, mostly have all been there, done that.  The teacher gets up to give her prepared remarks and begins by saying, “I hope you all don’t mind, I’m doing on demand feeding.  At any moment my baby could cry and I will have to feed him.  On top of that, I just felt let down.  Anyway, I may have to pop him on and keep teaching.”  Okay then.  Nursing in the back row apparently no big deal.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I would LOVE to see someone in the FFX ward just get up and nurse her baby whilst giving a RS lesson. Maybe it'll be me!!! LOL