Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ben's Wardrobe - A Few of My Favorites

We don’t have dressers here.  We have built in wardrobes for the clothes.  That means we need a lot of hangers and don’t fold things anymore and stuff them into drawers.  I tried having Ben put his clothes in nice orderly piles on the bottom of the wardrobe but it just didn’t work.  Every time he would change clothes he would just throw the old stuff on top of the folded clothes. The mound would grow and grow.  Then Jacob would play hide and seek and mess up any shred of organization that might have been left at the bottom of the pile. It just wasn’t working.

Our new approach was to have Ben hang his clothes in the closet.  It has a half height bar that is just his size.  I helped him get all set up and agreed that he could continue in the future.  It has been a struggle for me to let things go, but life is a process of learning and this is a first for him.  He really does try to hang stuff up, but gets lazy more often than not.  I hate even looking in his closet because it’s such a mess, just not on the floor.  Yesterday he came to me saying he was out of hangers so he couldn’t put his clothes away.  He had recently got two more pairs of pants out of his luggage so I figured I needed to bring him two more hangers for pants.  I got them out and took them to his room. I found 13 empty hangers before I stopped counting. I told him he needed to look harder since there are probably only 40 hangers in the closet all together.

Here are a few of my favorites just today.

·         Scout shirt – buttoned the top button then hung it with the top hook below the button

·         Button up church shirt – got one arm/shoulder in properly then used the tag at the neck to hook into the part of the hanger that is supposed to hold tank tops and such up

·         Shorts – hung carefully on a hanger made for shirts

No comments: