Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, August 28, 2008

DMV Memories

A few weeks ago I got a notice in the mail that the fantastic Virginia State DMV saying that they had rechecked my information with the Social Security Administration and that the information no longer matched. Interesting, I thought. I haven't changed my name, my SS# or my birthday (is that even possible??) in the last 4 year years. I'm still me, as far as I know. In any case, I was instructed to fix the situation and appear in person to renew my license with proper documentation to prove my identity. I called the DMV to protest. I'm still the same old me, I told them. They didn't care. I was told to call Social Security and work it out with them. They said everything was the same. DMV said they couldn't help me over the phone, so I had to come in. Ugh. That's just what everybody wants to do, especially with kids in tow. I called a friend, Mary, to see if she was free any morning this week to watch the kids while I went in to fight it out. So, today I went in. I was in a foul mood, expecting a disaster, not knowing what to really say. Nothing had changed, so what do I fight with them about? Everything turned out just fine. After waiting, I approached the counter, presented my notice and asked what I needed to do. He looked it up on the computer and said, "Hummm, it doesn't show any problem at all. We'll just renew it like normal then." I could hear the choirs of angels singing!! Hallelujah!! So, other than waiting, it turned out to be no big deal. During my quiet waiting time though, I reminisced about my last visit to the DMV. It wasn't so easy on me. Every move we've ever made, at some point in the process, have a total and complete emotional breakdown. Sobbing so hard I can hardly breathe, snot running down my face, red puffy eyes, total despair in my heart, you know a COMPLETE emotional breakdown! Unfortunately for me, the Texas to Virginia breakdown just happened to occur at the DMV. Ugh. Brian and I took Ben with us to change over our drivers licenses, license plates, etc, etc. Everything was going okay other than having a 13 month old and trying to wait. We juggled him alright. Finally, after about an hour, Brian got called up for his picture, then picked up his license, and I was still waiting. Time was passing slower and slower, Ben was hungry and needed a nap. I was getting more and more aggitated and upset. I waited over an hour past when Brian had picked up his actual license, then finally approached the counter to demand they find out why mine hadn't been processed, it had been over 2 hours I had been sitting. They didn't know anything and weren't willing to look. I waited another 30 minutes or so and approached again, this time they could see I had been crying. They had mercy on my and started looking for my file. It got lost somewhere in the back, but they did eventually find it and start working on it. By this time, Brian had left me and had Ben strapped into his carseat in the rental car in the parking lot, napping. I finally had to leave the building because my crying was so totally out of control. As I walked out the Exit Only door, a sweet woman with a muslim head scarf tried to comfort me. She said, "Don't worry sweetie. You will pass your driving test next time you come back. I didn't pass either." I was so upset, I couldn't even laugh even though my soul knew exactly how funny that was. Now that the moment is past, I think it is hilarous that she thought I had failed my road test. In the end, I got my license, but my picture was terrible. My face was literally as red as an apple and my eyes were totally swollen. So, now I have a new picture on my license, though it's not really much better than the original one. But, the best part of the story, I won't have to set foot in the DMV for another 8 beautiful years. Hooray!

No comments: