Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Friday, August 1, 2008

Is Living with One Fridge Possible?


So we ripped up our kitchen about 10 months ago (October 2007) and had it mostly put together for my family to all come visit at Christmas. We decided to hold onto the extra fridge because it would make feeding 19 people a lot easier if we had the extra space. Well, we just kept keeping it and keeping it.

Brian worked diligently to empty it many, many times. He would empty the door and start slowly shifting everything to the new fridge. Then, I would go shopping and fill it right back up. Since the old fridge was right by the table, I could put away all the condiments, milk, juice, etc so much faster if I just threw them into the spots Brian had just emptied. Eventually, he gave up the fight.

Sunday night I decided to finally just post the fridge on Craigslist even if it wasn't ready. Sure enough, like magic, when I had an appointment for someone to come see it, I had emptied and wiped the whole thing down in about an hour. It was a trick to get everything to fit in the new fridge though. Let's just say don't open the door unless you are ready to catch a stray orange or apple...
Seriously, I think I could do so much more with myself if I just have proper motivation. If I was accountable for more on a daily basis, I might could move the world. As it is, I don't even think about moving the world, just a mess from the left side of the counter to the right side...how could I find anything if I actually put it away. The mortgage bill is about 1/4" inch down on the leaning pile on the left, not in the finance file, etc, etc. That's just the way I've always operated. Sorry, Brian, but you did see my bedroom before you married me. You can't say you weren't warned.

Side Note: I'm not alone. Wednesday night I was talking to a sweet friend who told us that she had 3 cans of paint, rollers, etc in her entry way closet from an unfinished project for 3 years while the shoes and other things that should go there have been on the floor all over in front of the front closet. Just occurred to her this weekend that she could move the paint supplies to the basement. We were almost rolling on the ground laughing when she told us one of her "summer projects" was to move the 3 cans of paint. Hello!!, 15 minute job or "summer project"?? Like I said, I'm not alone and I felt comforted...

Anyway, tonight, the lovely extra fridge will be gone and we're a few bucks richer which helps offset the cost of the repairs for our "new" old fridge. Still, I'm not sure I can live with just one fridge anymore. Where will I put a Costco sized...well...Costco sized anything? I was totally spoiled rotten for a beautiful 8 months and loved every minute of it!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Ok, that is so hilarious! I just got my old fridge back, which is smaller than standard size, and I am missing the FREEZER space! Time to look for a chest freezer, I guess. . . But I am sooo happy to have the water dispenser back. And the side-by-side doors. And the massive scratch across the front of the fake stainless (another lesson to NOT buy anything over $300 brand new).