Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, February 23, 2009

Overlooking Miracles

Do you ever wonder how many miracles occur in your life everyday that you don't even notice? I've been thinking this through. I had the most terrible toothache for over a week. It was debilitating for day after day. I couldn't concentrate on anything that took real brain power. I was short with the kids. I had no patience for disobedience or sometimes even their innocent childlike silliness. Many times it had me in tears as waves of throbbing pain would emanate from my upper jaw. I prayed to make it through, hoping it was a sinus infection like the last time. Eventually it seemed less general and became centered in one single tooth. I finally decided to call the dentist because it wasn't getting better. Friday afternoon I called my brother-in-law who is in dental school. Our conversation lead me to believe there was nothing to do but call a dentist and go in. So I called my dentist. She had left just hours earlier for an over seas vacation. I could get an appointment for two weeks. That wasn't going to cut it. At least the office had just split in the last six months so I had another option. I called the other half of the practice for an appointment. He didn't work Fri, Sat or Sun. Okay, neither would I, but I really, really wanted to go in for an appointment and get some pain relief. I admitted defeat and knew the soonest I could reach anyone would be Monday morning. I told Brian I would need a blessing to make it through the weekend. I tried all day Saturday to concentrate and prepare my talk. I had to speak the next day to the congregation in sacrament meeting. How ironic that my topic was prayer. I prayed and prayed that I could bear the pain until I could see the dentist. Saturday at dinner I was still in tears still, despite taking pain meds and sudafed for sinus pressure intermittently. After dinner I had committments at a youth dance to lead a committee meeting beforehand then stay to chaperone. I went and dutifully did my jobs. At 10 pm it hit me like a ton of bricks. NO PAIN. Not even a little bit. I tried to think back to when it had left. I had no idea. I was so excited that I picked up my cell phone and dialed Brian so I could just tell someone my AMAZING news. Then I realized he would probably appreciate the time alone and chose not to call, but sat in my chair in amazement. Doesn't it make you wonder. How many miracles occur in my life everyday that I don't even notice? There seem to be constant annoyances we try to pray away from our everyday lives. I bet I have overlooked millions of answers to prayer simply because my life just returned to normal. The annoyance went away and I may have not even noticed. How ungrateful can I be? I think I need to try to be more attentive to the answers I get that I have been overlooking. I'm so grateful that God saw fit to take the pain away for me through that weekend. It hasn't been back since that evening. I was finally able to put my thoughts together about what I would speak about and it went well enough. I still think it is ironic that I received an answer to my prayers so that I could focus enough to speak on...prayer. How cool is that. God sure loves me. Even when I'm too self absorbed to notice all he does for me, he still showers me with his blessings and love.

1 comment:

Verity said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. What an amazing experience!!!