Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, September 1, 2008

Ben's First Primary Talk

Ben and I have been talking about him giving his first talk for a month now since he was given the assignment. He has been adamant that he isn't going to do it. In reply, I gently told him that everyone needs a turn and it's his turn to give a talk. After much negotiation and eventually me offering a bribe of a candy bar (which was totally rejected) we have come to an agreement. His talk is on baptism. I found 4 pictures from the Gospel Art Kit and about two sentences for each picture. He reluctantly agreed to say the words to the first picture and I will say the rest. Even though this was the agreement, I didn't think for a minute that he would actually do it. When it was his turn to do the scripture and prayer, he had a total meltdown, crying in Brian's arms at the podium. Brian had to juggle keeping him from falling off the stool and giving the scripture and prayer himself over the noise Ben was making. When I came into primary, he was happy to see me. They announced for Ben to come get ready to give his talk. I put my arm around his shoulder and handed him the first picture. I whispered the words in his ear. To my great surprise and satisfaction, he repeated the words about Jesus getting baptised!! He did a great job. When it was time to change pictures, I asked if he wanted to do the next one. "No!" he said. "You said just ONE picture!" No problem, I finished the words and he held the pictures and was willing to end with, "In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." I was totally satisfied. I really did anticipate another crying disaster, but he did great!!

No comments: