Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Speaking in Stake Conference

One major up side to speaking in stake conference I realized right off the bat. Typically, Brian translates all the meetings into spanish, so I'm left handling the general session with both kids solo. It makes for a less than amazing stake conference experience. Until Maddie hit 18 months, I was basically able to keep us in our seats. Last time, I gave up on Maddie and took both the kids to a side room so she would stop screaming. I felt totally defeated. When President Erickson called to ask if I would speak to the youth at Stake Conference, I knew I would get to sit on the stand and enjoy the meeting. What a treat! Brian translated the meetings on Saturday, but took the kids for the general family session. I sat on the stand for two lovely hours and got to be fed by the spirit. The choir was amazing and being that close, made me feel totally immersed in the sound of their voices. I loved it. I posted before that I have had trouble sleeping this week. I think Monday morning was one of those days. I took my scriptures down to the kitchen table at 4:30 in the morning and started thinking through what I might say. I was supposed to address the youth about the youth conference theme from the past summer, "Stand Up, Stand Out, Stand Together!" They couldn't have given me a more easy topic to prepare my thoughts on. I didn't want to give a youth conference recap though, so I did put a lot of thought into my talk. I came up with several personal experiences for each part of the topic, searched the scriptures a bit for youth leaders in them and read words to hymns about the youth. By the time the kids got up, I felt I had a good start. Then for five days, there was just no connecting glue to my random thoughts. Everything individually was fine, but it was a hodge podge of random information. It would not come together. Saturday was supposed to be my day to gather my thoughts and get it together. Then we had the basement flood and I spent most the day moving things upstairs and sucking gallon after gallon of water out of the carpet. Finally it was late and I really needed some inspiration. I offered a sincere, humble prayer for help to bring my thoughts together. I sat to write and things instantly came together after days of frustration. I should focus on the transition the kids were going through as they returned to school and all the challenges that can bring. I wrote it out one time and was done. I didn't struggle or agonize at all about my message as I usually do. I felt right about it. I'm so grateful for help from above when I need it most. Sunday morning I looked over my talk and we headed to the stake center. I was totally calm until the moment I spoke, second to last. I stood, delivered my message exactly how I wanted and turned to sit down. Presidents Erickson and McClelland both had huge grins on their faces. President Erickson said a quiet, "YES! That's it." It felt good to have confirmation I had delivered the message he had intended. Patriarch Evans also told me it was the perfect message to share. The Lord was with me today and I am so appreciative. It wasn't me that put that talk together or delivered it today. That I know for a fact.

No comments: