Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Picking Baby Names

If anyone out there has some spare time, could you please pester Brian a bit? He knows that I have to have a plan about everything in life. Even if it changes, that's okay with me, I'll adjust. When we didn't know if we were moving to Virginia or not with 6 weeks notice, I just told him to lie to me about it. If things changed, I'd adjust but the NOT knowing was killing me! How do you plan for that? And such it is with everything in my life. I need a plan. We've always had a plan for baby names or at least discussed names for the whole nine month pregnancy. Near the end (7 months), we are down to two or three names, mostly settled on one above the others and we make the final call at the hospital. Not so this time. I've been trying to come up with the name of our baby from the beginning, like usual. Brian just hasn't cared much for the discussion this round. Sort of hard to discuss if he has no opinion. Nothing I brought up in the early months was either loved or hated. No veto declared on names, no suggestions offered, even when pressed. For months it really, really ate at me, not being able to plan. Finally I decided to just be okay with it. Put it out of my mind for a while. In the last 3 months, surely he'd be interested, right? Still no. We have 22 days left before the scheduled delivery and have never really talked seriously about names. Is that normal? With Maddie we had really fallen in love with the boy names Jacob and Joshua. I figured they would be our choices this time. I still like both, but both are on the top 10 baby names for the last seven or eight years. That hasn't stopped us before. Both Benjamin and Madison were on the top five names for their years and the few before. But Brian isn't jazzed up about them anymore. I did have a dream about it one night. I woke up suddenly and sat straight up in bed. I don't remember anything about the dream, but the baby's name was Austin. The next evening I asked casually what Brian thought about the name Austin. His only response..."Sounds pretty Texan to me." Okay. Is that good? Bad? What do you mean by that, Brian? Was it a simple statement of fact and nothing more? Ben is full blooded Texan (with the birth certificate to prove it, full size of a college diploma I might add, everything is bigger in Texas). Maddie is named after a city in Texas (Madisonville). It does keep with tradition our Texan tradition to name the baby Austin. With 22 days to go, we have yet to name this little guy. Oh well. Some kids come home from the hospital without names, right? At SOME point he's gotta start thinking about it...I hope...

2 comments:

Erin said...

i love the name austin. it's on my short list. i say go for it.

Cath said...

I vote for Austin!