Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My Identity Was Stolen...Then My Wallet...I Feel Kind of Lucky!

In the spring there was a screw up at the University of Utah Medical Clinic where some bonehead took a bunch of records home, left them in his car overnight and they were stolen. So all the people who's info was stolen was offered free credit monitoring for a year. Or something like that. The records were recovered and all is well, but I still took advantage of the free monitoring and signed up in August when they contacted me about the breach (living out of state makes you a bit disconnected). Today that monitoring makes me feel a little bit more secure. On Sunday I took the kids to class after sacrament meeting while Brian cleaned up the zone. I got caught in the back of the building visiting and he set my church bag on a table in the lobby of the church. I didn't think much of it or run to grab it. About 30 minutes later I went to retrieve my stuff. I didn't even think, neither did Brian, that my wallet was not just in the bag, but basically hanging out of the bag he set in plain sight to advertise, "TAKE ME." I also didn't notice if it was in the bag or not. After church we had dinner at the Hyatt's and my bag was thrown in the trunk. Brian dropped us off after dinner and rushed to a fireside and we didn't unload so I didn't see the bag that evening. Monday I realized as I drove to a play date around the corner I had left my wallet at home but it was just a few blocks and I was half way there so I didn't turn around. Tuesday I woke at 5 am and couldn't sleep. Finally I showered and figured I could do my grocery shopping before the kids and Brian were even up and going. That's when I found out...the wallet is gone. I spent over an hour searching the same 3 places over and over, the trunk, the bag, the church bag of books, etc. It's gone. Two weeks ago another wallet was stolen from a purse in the church. It was recovered a week later in the men's bathroom and everything was there except the cash. I am holding onto hope that is the case with mine. Still, I have to cancel everything and get all new cards. Last night I dreamed I found it. I woke up really happy until I realized it wasn't going to be there. I'd checked 20 times already. So, at least my identity was stolen before my wallet was stolen, right? I do have credit monitoring at least.

No comments: