Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, October 27, 2008

Primary Program

The status quo with Ben and public speaking is that he locks up then melts down. Go figure, he did great today at our ward primary program. The major bonus? He spoke clearly into the microphone. Most kids in the Sunbeam class in my entire adult memory are totally and completely not understandable between being scared, fast and putting their hands in front of their mouths or hiding their faces in the teachers shoulder. The amazing line he came up with on his own to say? "I can be like Jesus by helping my mom and dad at our house." Short, sweet and totally doable for a 4 year old. Maddie didn't do quite as well. We had to take her out because she was screaming that she wanted to go on the stage with Ben. Oh well. I was able to keep her mostly calm from the lobby at a vantage point to see Ben and he could see me (he kept waving). It was really cute to see him so excited over the whole thing and he watched me the whole time they sang any songs. As his prearranged treat for doing a great job, we had decided hinging the treat on talking would be a bad idea in case he freaked out and wouldn't do it at the last minute. We told him we would count the group songs and he got a sucker for each song he sung. That makes a total of 6 delicious suckers he will be enjoying. He thinks it was totally worth it. My favorite part was all the buildup the week before the program. We have a CD in the truck of all the songs they learned for the program. Ben would have me repeat songs that Sister Voges told them to practice. The best part was that he would be singing in the truck while we drove, but would tell me to close my ears so I couldn't hear so the words would be a surprise to me. When Brian got home from his trip, he would tell him over and over that he had a surprise at church that he couldn't know about. The only clue Dad would get was that when the Bishop or Doug Arveseth said the words, "Would all the primary children please come to the front." that he might disappear. But, not to worry because he would be in a safe place still. He would be so serious and excited at the same time. It was cute to see him so excited over something so simple.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Ben did such a good job, you can tell him that I was VERY proud of him and how well he sang all the songs (I'll be sure to tell him the same on Sunday). I love your blog, it is so down to earth and fun...much like you!