Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Zufelt Family Feb 2015

Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Night Fireside

I know the rules, 24 hours away if your kid vomits. But, I've been alone with two kids on my own for a week already and quarantined for two days since Ben threw up the first time on Friday. I made the decision to go to church anyway, heck, it had been 22 hours, close enough. Plus the kids were highly unlikely to survive another day if Mom didn't get out for a bit. Ben was as normal as can be all morning and I was going to lose my mind if I didn't get to talk to an adult for a few minutes. We went to church and all went well. Being a little nervous, I did check on him at the duly appointed hour when he had vomitted the two previous days and he was happy as could be, enjoying the "dress rehersal" for the primary program for the parents next Sunday. I went back to class, finally feeling reassured we were in the clear. After church, it was a mad dash to get home, make dinner, make the kids eat (the real trick of any mother's day), pack my own stuff for the fireside, then load 'em up and move 'em out. I dropped the kids at Mali and Brent's place for the evening since I was in charge of the stake youth fireside. I got the building keys and arrived just in time to let in the committee kids, unload the refreshments, set-up chairs, make sure the speaker whatever he needed, etc. We even started time with attendance well exceeding our expectation, probably 100 kids with 20+ adults/leaders. Glad I bought extra cookies and brownies. Good work team! Successful night. The fireside was fantastic, our speaker, Brother Toma did an amazing job. He is one of those totally inspiring people to hear speak. He talked to the kids about "Strength and Unity" then we broke the teens up into groups based on the high school they went to. They played get to know you games and networked a bit so they would know other youth that share their same, strong, Christian background and values. Hopefully they won't feel so isolated in school knowing they are not alone. Then cookies, brownies and milk were served to the masses, chairs put up, building cleaned, I skipped out a few minutes early to go get the kids about 9pm. I loaded up the little people, buckled Maddie in just as Ben told me he felt the tummy yuckies coming. I panicked but did find a make-shift "bucket" and that kid filled it up. The only thing in reach was one of those bed risers you use to raise a bed up 6 inches higher so you can store more junk. Apparently, it makes a great bucket when turned upside down. Unbuckle Maddie, go back inside the house to dump the bed riser and get Ben a drink. Graciously apologize for any sickness their kids may now get. I thought he was okay. Rush off, home to bed. Cancel the road trip to visit Aunt Kristie in Buffalo. Ben was broken hearted, but seems to understand if I tell him that we don't want to make his cousin Parker sick. Maybe we will get crazy and still go for a super-duper sort trip leaving Tuesday.

No comments: